Sweet , spicy,nutty tangy flavoured onion and tomato chutney can be best accompaniment to south Indian breakfast.
Preparation Time-5 min
Cooking Time-15 min
Onion- 1 med
Channa Dal- 1 Tbsp
Urid Dal- 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds-1/2 tsp
Garlic cloves- 3
Lemon Juice-1/2 lemon(as per taste)
Salt- to taste
Dry Red chilli- 2 (adjust to your taste)
Dry roast the dals on low heat till golden colour and set aside. Roast cumin and allow it to cool. Once cool grind them to a powder.( not too fine)
In a pan take 1 tsp oil and add roughly chopped onions cook till translucent. Chop garlic cloves and add it to the pan .Allow it to cook for 2 min or until the raw smell of garlic goes away.
Add chopped tomatoes with salt and turmeric. cook till all tomatoes are mushy. Turn off the gas and let it cool completely.
In a blender add the tomato mix and dal powder and blend it to a smooth chutney. Add lemon juice to the chutney
Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida/hing – pinch
Dry red chilli- 1-2
Curry leaves- Few
Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp (optional)
Heat oil in a pan , add mustard seeds once it crackle add chillies,curry leaves and fry till leaves are crisp. Now add Hing.
To the pan add the grated chutney mix and stir for 30 seconds on low flame. Serve with Idli, Dosa, Upma.
You May Also Like...
- Information Coconut chutney comes from south India where as green and sweet chutneys come from north.It is a great accompaniment with fried snacks like vada, as well as with steamed delicacies like idli, dosa and upma.It is very quick and easy recipe. Preparation Time: 10 min Difficulty: Easy Serves: 4-5…
- This Apple chutney is sweet, tangy with a little heat. Its perfect accompaniment for any snack or just top it on a slice of bread. Its the best way to use your left over apples. Difficulty- Easy Preparation Time-5 min Cooking Time- 5-10 min Serves-4 Ingredients Green Apples- 2 Cumin…
- This mix comes handy when you don't have the time to make the batter from scratch . Follow the simple recipe for soft and fluffy Idlis Difficulty- Easy Preparation Time- 15 min Cooking Time -15 -20 min Serves -4 Ingredients For the mix Urid Dal- 1 Cup Poha / Flatten…
- This is a brilliant dish to use your left over bread and it will make a tasty breakfast. Difficulty-Easy Preparation Time-25 min Cooking Time 25-30 min Serves-2-3 Ingredients Bread--8 slice Semolina-1/2 cup Beaten Yoghurt- 2-3 tspn Rice Flour-2 tsp Oil- 2 tbsp Mustard Seeds-1 tsp Onion- 1 medium Ginger chopped-1/2…
- Simple and tasty chana dal with palak is perfect for kids its healthy and nutritious . Difficulty-Easy Preparation Time -15 min+ soaking time of 1 hr Cooking Time-40 mins Serves-6 Ingredients Chana Dal-200 gms Spinach/Palak-200 gms Butter -1 tbsp Oil-2 tbsp Ginger-2 tsp Garlic-2 tsp Onion Medium-1 Tomato Medium-…