Sambar is a lentil based side dish, especially accompanied with plain rice. In south of India it is a staple diet, almost no day goes without it. It is normally very spicy but can be prepared in many ways.
- Difficulty level: Medium
- Cooking time: 40 min
- Serves: 4-5
- Toor Dal (Arhar Dal): 1/2 cup
- Tomato: 1 big
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Shallots (or small Onion): Few
- Aubergine: 2 small diced in big chunks
- Drumstick: 3/4 stick
- Carrots: 1 small diced
- Okra: 2 medium size
- Dudhi: Few diced cube
- Ginger: 1 inch piece
- Garlic: 3 pods
- Turmeric: 1 tsp
- Curry leaves: few leaves
- Fenugreek Seeds: 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Asafoetida: 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind Juice: 3 Tbsp
- Dry red chili: 3
- Sambar Powder: 15 gms /1 tbsp
- Sugar or Jaggery little
- Coriander Leaves: Few leaves
- Wash and pressure cook Toor dal with salt,turmeric ginger,garlic and 1 & 1/2 cup of water and cook for at least 15 Min on low heat or till its completely done.
- Open the lid and mash the dal with back of your ladle. Heat oil in a separate pan and add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Now add fenugreek seeds, asafoetida ,dry red chili,curry leaves and give it a stir.
- In the same pan add shallots and stir for a minute then add all the vegetables(carrot,drumstick,dudhi,okra,aubergine) and stir a 2 minutes.Now add the chopped tomato cover and cook on low flame till they are soft and oil leave side of the pan.(about 45 minute)
- To the same pan add the sambhar powder and give it a good stir. Add the Tamarind juice to the pan and cook for one minute.
Transfer the mixture of the pan to the dal & add sugar or jaggery and pressure cook on low flame for 5—7 minute.
- Open the lid transfer the dal to bowl and garnish with some coriander. Serve hot with plain boiled Basmati rice or Dosa or Idlly or Vada and many more.
If you like it more spicy or tangy you can adjust the quantity of sambar powder and tamarind juice to your taste.
You May Also Like...
- Information Difficulty level: Easy Cooking time: 30 min Vegetarian Serves: 3-4 Ingredients Red lentil: 1/2 cup Onion: 1 medium (chopped) Oil: 2 tbsp Cumin seeds: 1 tsp Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp Red chili powder: 1/2 tsp or 1 green chili Tomato: 1 medium (chopped) Cilantro few spring Ginger & garlic…
- Information Methi pulao (or Fenugreek fresh leaf pulao) is an Indian recipe. It is not only tasty but very nutritious pulao rice. It is very easy to make and packed with flavour. Difficulty level: Easy Cooking time: 40 min Vegetarian Serves: 3-4 Ingredients Rice: 1 cup (250 grams) Fresh…
- Dosa Recipe Information This is one of my all time favourite dish to eat Dosa for breakfast or snack or dinner!! it is a typical south Indian staple food and is very popular all over the world. These are savoury pancake made from rice and lentils and tastes more…