This is one of my all time favourite dish to eat Dosa for breakfast or snack or dinner!! it is a typical south Indian staple food and is very popular all over the world. These are savoury pancake made from rice and lentils and tastes more delicious served with sambar, chutney (See my other posts for the recipes).
Cooking Time: 3 min for 1 dosa
Preparation time: 10-12 hours (including fermentation)
Urad dal(skinless split): 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds(Methi Dana): 1/4 tsp
- Mix fenugreek seeds and urad dal in a bowl and soak it in enough water for 5 hrs .In separate bowl wash and soak rice in enough water about( 2″ deep).
- In a blender/mixer blend rice and dal separately adding little water (use same water in which they were soaked) to make a smooth mix .Leave it to ferment in a warm place overnight.
- Once the batter is fermented , add salt to the batter and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick pan and sprinkle a little water on it. It should steam immediately.
- Grease it with oil and wipe hard with a slice of onion or potato.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on the tava and spread in a circular motion to make 125 mm (5″) thin dosa.
- Smear a liitle oil along the sides, cook till the dosa turns brown and crispy and fold over to make a semi-circle.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.Serve hot with chutney and sambar.
Tip-You can add a slice of white bread without crust while blending.This will boost up the fermentation process.
You May Also Like...
- This is a brilliant dish to use your left over bread and it will make a tasty breakfast. Difficulty-Easy Preparation Time-25 min Cooking Time 25-30 min Serves-2-3 Ingredients Bread--8 slice Semolina-1/2 cup Beaten Yoghurt- 2-3 tspn Rice Flour-2 tsp Oil- 2 tbsp Mustard Seeds-1 tsp Onion- 1 medium Ginger chopped-1/2…
- Information Coconut chutney comes from south India where as green and sweet chutneys come from north.It is a great accompaniment with fried snacks like vada, as well as with steamed delicacies like idli, dosa and upma.It is very quick and easy recipe. Preparation Time: 10 min Difficulty: Easy Serves: 4-5…
- Information Khandvi is a savoury and a popular snack from the Indian state of Gujarat, India. It is primarily made of gram flour and yoghurt and tempered with mustard seeds. It is moderately difficult item to prepare! be patient, getting the right consistency of the batter is the key to…
- Information Sambar is a lentil based side dish, especially accompanied with plain rice. In south of India it is a staple diet, almost no day goes without it. It is normally very spicy but can be prepared in many ways. Difficulty level: Medium Cooking time: 40 min Vegetarian Serves: 4-5 Ingredients…
- Introduction Tamarind Rice or Pulihogara/pulihora is very well known in south-India and is also served as prasadam in temples.I love this dish for its tanginess and for the fact its less on oil.Its quick, easy and very tasty dish. Difficulty-Easy Preparation Time-15 mins…